Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"the Apologist's Evening Prayer"

"The Apologists Evening Prayer" by C.S. Lewis

From all my lame defeats and oh! much more
From all the victories that I seemed to score;
From cleverness shot forth on Thy behalf
At which, while Angels weep, the audience laugh;
From all my proofs of Thy divinity,
Thou, who wouldst give no sign, deliver me.

Thoughts are but coins.  Let me not trust, instead
Of Thee, their thin-worn image of Thy head.

From all my thoughts even from my thoughts of Thee,
O thou fair Silence, fall, and set me free.
Lord of the narrow gate and the needle's eye,
Take from me all my trumpery lest I die.


I love the second to last line in this poem. "Lord of the narrow gate and the needle's eye".  I think that these two ideas are really special, because Christ points out in these two verses the way to get into heaven.  In the New Testament, Jesus points out that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.  He also talks about how Christians should go through the narrow gate and not through the wide gate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment